Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Magically making its own fudge sauce this cake will become one of your favorite last-minute desserts. Serve it with ice cream for an extra special treat. Note: if you use a dutch process cocoa you will have a richer, darker result. TIP: some reviewers have recommended "baking" this in a crockpot on High for about 2 1/2 hours and then letting it cool slightly before serving. Thanks for the tip!
- 295.73 ml granulated sugar, divided
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 103.53 ml cocoa, divided
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml milk
- 78.07 ml butter or 78.07 ml margarine, melted
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 295.73 ml water, hot
- whipped topping
- Heat oven to 350'F.
- In medium bowl stir together 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 3 Tbls. cocoa, baking powder and salt. Blend in milk, butter and vanilla, beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
- In separate bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
- Pour hot water over top; do not stir.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Let stand 15 minutes; spoon into dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top.
- Garnish with whipped topping.
Thank you Jo Ann. This is so yummy. It is easy to make. A no fuss pudding in the true sense of the word. Just what I like after a busy day when you need comfort food to lift your spirit. Eating this, you are able to say "Mmmmmm" and float into pudding heaven and forget the rotten day you had. Try it. You'll love it.
A great recipe..I had made one like this years ago but had misplaced the recipe and was glad to find this one. Served it with ice cream and topped it with some Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce (zaar recipe #39088). It was excellent!
Thank you soooo much for posting this. I don't know where I got the original recipe, but I have made this several times and my family went nuts over it. Then I lost the recipe! It is great served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip! YUM! My family thanks you :)