Recipe by Just Call Me Martha
This is a very simple and quick version of a hot and sour soup. It contains many less ingredients than a traditional hot and sour soup, but is great nevertheless.
Top Review by Kisskagome13
I thought this was very good. And for the person who commented before, it does have the "sour". "3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar" That's the sour. This was a very good take on hot and sour soup. I thought the tomato juice was a little strange for it before I made it, but it turned out quite good. Thank you for this recipe. I will definitely make it again. ^_^
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup straw mushroom (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, slivered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced diagonally
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth, tomato juice, soya sauce, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, red pepper, hot pepper sauce and pepper flakes.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, green onion and chicken.
- Simmer for 1 minute longer.
- Combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup water; mix well and stir into soup.
- Simmer until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Slowly add beaten egg in a continuous stream while soup is boiling.
- Continue stirring until egg is cooked and looks like threads throughout the soup.