Chef Scherezade's Note:
You can make that pricey Chinese chicken dish you love so much, at home, for less than $3 per plate instead of the $6-$15 at PF Changs or the equivalent.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the chicken thoroughly with cold water, then chop into finger sized pieces.
- 2Mix flour and cornstarch well and add a pinch of salt from the tablespoon sized amount, then dredge chicken.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat sunflower oil.
- 4In a medium-sized saucepan, add vinegar, water, and ketchup and stir with whisk until well blended. Bring to a boil.
- 5After mixture boils, add sugar, salt, garlic powder, pineapple, bell pepper, and onion. (hint: if sauce is coming too thin after 10 minutes on low heat, remove from heat and add teaspoon of cornstarch gradually until thickening begins.).
- 6Add chicken to oil and fry until golden. After chicken is fried, add immediately to sauce mixture on low heat and toss well to coat.
- 7Serve with white rice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Restaurant-Style Sweet & Sour Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (577 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1846.4
- Calories from Fat 1503
- Total Fat 167.0 g
- Saturated Fat 22.0 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 2551.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 29.3 g