Spanish Style Sweet and Sour Chicken
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Submitted by Lillian Julow, from Gainesville, FL, a 2009 Finalist in the Chicken Cooking Contest, put on by the National Chicken Council. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 lbs mixed bone-in skin on chicken breasts and chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup blanched whole almond
- 2 slices about 1/2 inch thick French bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- On tray in oven(or in toaster oven), place almonds and bread. Bake at 350° F until light brown, 3-5 minutes, turning once. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- With scissors, trim chicken skin so it just covers meat. Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise (if wings are attached, remove and discard tips). Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large heavy skillet over medium high heat, place olive oil. Add chicken in batches, starting with skin side down and turning once until well browned on all sides; move to 2-l/2 quart casserole with cover.
- Discard oil in skillet but retain browned bits and any remaining chicken juices. Return skillet to medium heat and add butter and chicken broth. Simmer, stirring, until all brown bits are incorporated into the stock mixture; set aside.
- Tear toasted bread into small pieces and place in small bowl containing vinegar. Place almonds in food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add soaked bread, cinnamon, ginger and sugar to processor and pulse until smooth. Pour in juices from skillet and process again.
- Pour sauce over chicken, cover and bake about 30 minutes or until tender and internal temperature reaches 170°F
- Arrange chicken with sauce on platter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION