1 hr 15 mins
This tastes a little like stuffing, and is perfect for a holiday buffet. Layered eggplant is an intriging contrast to the nuts. This makes an eye popping entree and may be served with cranberry sauce and gravy. Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 cups raw cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large tomatoes
- 6 slices rye bread, toasted and crushed into crumbs
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons brewer's yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 2 teapoons fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to broil. Brush eggplant slices with 2 tbls. oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and broil 5 to 7 minutes. Turn eggplant slices, and broil 5 more minutes, or until slices are tender and light brown. Set aside, and lower oven heat to 350*F.
- 2Cook rice, following package directions, and set aside. Meanwhile, heat remaining 4 tbls. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute cashews, onion and garlic in oil 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is soft and brown. Chop one tomato, and add to skillet; cook 3 more minutes.
- 3Transfer cashew mix to large bowl. Stir in cooked rice, breadcrumbs, broth, brewer's yeast, basil, thyme and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Coat a 9"x13" oval baking dish with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the dish with half of the broiled eggplant slices. Spoon in cashew mixture. Top with remaining eggplant slices. Slice remaining 2 tomatoes, and layer down center of casserole to form a broad, bright red stripe.
- 5Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is brown and filling is hot. Serve immediately. Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Cashew Nut Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.8
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 171.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: