Recipe by Julesong
Here's a special treatment of wild rice, laced with herbs and mushrooms...
Top Tweak by Charishma_Ramchandani
I made this for lunch this afternoon and it was really good. I used 1/2 cup onions, 2 tbsps. oil instead of butter, a little less than 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, 1 cup shredded carrots, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 1/2 cups white Basmati rice, 3 3/4 cups Maggi vegetable broth with onions as a substitute for chicken broth- reason being that we're all vegetarians(I prepared this separately at home by dissolving 2 cubes of Maggi veg. broth in 3 3/4 cups of water, bringing it to a boil until the cubes were totally dissolved), 1 cup chopped mushrooms, juice of 1/2 a lemon and 3 tbsps. corriander leaves instead of parsley for garnishing. It made 6 servings for me and all was over in no time(guests appreciated and asked for the recipe!). I must also add that I just visited your homepage and loved your pretty pictures. Thanks for sharing the recipe and glad to meet you on Recipezaar!
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- water, as needed
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3 cups uncooked white rice
- 6 (1 cup) cups chicken broth (6 cups total)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black or tricolor pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl place the dried mushrooms and add just enough warm water to cover; let stand 10 minutes until softened.
- Drain and rinse, squeezing out excess water from mushrooms. Then chop them finely; set aside.
- Combine wild rice and enough water in saucepan to keep rice well covered. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer uncovered until rice is tender and individual grains have opened about 45-50 minutes. (Add water as needed to keep rice covered.) Drain and keep warm.
- Heat butter in large deep nonstick skillet or saucepan over medium heat; add onion, rosemary, mushrooms, and carrot and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add white rice, broth, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender. Drain excess liquid.
- Mix wild rice, white rice, and parsley in bowl. Serve hot.
- (An adopted recipe.)