Recipe by Bec
From a vegetarian cookbook I have- If you use instant brown rice when preparing this, use only 2/3 cup water.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
What a great recipe- cooked in my pressure cooker for about 5 min. and added the soup. I did need to cook another 1/2 cup of rice to mix in, though,since the rice kind of disappeared in the liquid (probably different brands vary, this was Uncle Bens's). I bought Hanover's "Latino Blend" for the veggies (corn, peppers, black beans) and loved it. I added some additional seasoning at the end, too.I thought it was great with/without the cheese, and couldn't really tell that the almonds were in there, so omit next time. Thanks Bec, for another delicious recipe. Roxygirl
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans or 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cups loose-pack frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill, crushed
- 3 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces) or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet stir beans, undrained tomatoes, vegetables, water, uncooked rice, thyme or dillweed, and, if desired, hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 12 to 14 minutes or till rice is tender.
- Stir in soup; heat through.
- Before serving, stir in almonds and sprinkle with cheese.