Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a great slow-cooker recipe for beef stew. I've tried many slow-cooker recipes and they always turned out a little "odd", until I tried this one. This tastes wonderful, is healthy for you and the beef is very tender. Perfect recipe for fall and winter. I might try adding some frozen peas in this next time. Comes from Light&Tasty.
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Combine tomatoes, tapioca, basil, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery in bottom of 5 quart slow-cooker.
- Brown meat cubes in oil over medium heat until just browned; remove with slotted spoon to slow-cooker. Discard drippings.
- Pour tomato mixture over meat; cover slow-cooker and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat and veggies are tender.
- Note: When I made this, after 4 hours I reduced heat to low and stirred it all together. Then I let it cook on low for 1-2 hours more and it came out perfect for me.
Loved this,I did have to make a few changes tho, I did not have crushed tomatoes so I used tomatoe sauce, was out of basil so I used Italian seasoning and Parsely,also added more potatoes and carrots, and durning cooking added about a cup of water. About 1hr before serving I also added about 1/4 cup red wine, and some frozen peas and corn. yummmmmm, thanks for a great base stew.