Recipe by ChipotleChick
This is from the Oprah-sponsored cookbook "In The Kitchen With Rosie." I love this sandwich!!! I leave out the fresh basil, arugula, and jalapenos just because I usually don't have them on hand. This is a spicy sandwich, so if you have a low tolerance for heat, I would leave out all the spices. However, I wouldn't be able to gurantee that it would taste as good!
Top Review by SheBop
Excellent sandwich, definitely good enough for company. Takes a while to prepare, but worth it. You also get to impress your friends. I have used all kinds of combinations of veggies on this when I don't have egglplant, I've used spinach instead of arugula, and it's always good.
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nonfat cottage cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 clove peeled and minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 red onion, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- light vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 roasted red peppers (fresh or jarred and drained)
- 1 baguette
- 1 large tomatoes, cored and sliced
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers
- 8 basil leaves
- 8 arugula leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Put dressing ingredients in blender and mix on low until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Arrange eggplant, squash, zucchini, and onion in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning and cayenne pepper over all of the rounds.
- Spray the cooking spray over to coat lightly.
- Broil the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until brown, and flip them over to brown on the other side.
- Remove the cookie sheet, leaving the broiler on.
- Quarter the roasted bell peppers.
- Cut baguette in half crosswise and scoop out the soft inner dough.
- Place them on the broiler rack and toast for about 2 minutes per side.
- Put a few slices of tomato into the well in the bottom of each baguette.
- Dust with black pepper and jalapenos.
- Place 4 basil leaves, 4 arugula leaves, and 4 pieces of roasted pepper on baguette.
- Layer on slices of eggplant, squash, zucchini,and onion.
- Coat the inside of the remaining half baguette with the dressing and place it on top of the other half.
- Cut into 4 sandwiches.