Recipe by Dib's
I came up with this recipe last year-it was one of those-hmmm, here's what we got now let's make something. It's very good and the whole family likes it. You can sub broccoli for the spinach if you like.
Top Review by ciao
Di, I wish I could give this more than 5 stars. My husband's first word after his first bite was "Phenomenal." I only made one change, and that was omitting the mushrooms, because he won't eat them, and hates to have to pick them out. But the recipe and rest of the ingredients were followed to the letter. This really has great flavor! And it makes a nice sauce, too. Very quick to "prep" and to cook. I'm not a big fan of feta, but I found that it went so well with the rest of the flavors in the dish, and the olives are a very nice addition. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1 lb mushroom, quartered
- 1 large onion, sliced into long thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- black olives, sliced
- green olives, sliced
- feta cheese (I buy it in containers so the measurements are never the same-let's say a 3x3x2 piece crumbled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly salt and pepper chicken and fry in oil-slice each breast into 4 or 5 thick slices.
- You want it only half way cooked.
- Add tomatoes with juice-spinach and mushrooms.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic and oregano and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Check to see if chicken is cooked through.
- If done add wine and olives and heat through.
- Add half of the feta and remove from heat-toss.
- Offer remaining feta at the table.