Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A granny special.
Top Review by jerri822
These were so wonderful. My gran used to make tea cakes and these are very similar to her's. The cookies turned out very soft on the inside. I really liked the hint of almond flavor from the extract. I made these for my mom and served with hot lemon tea. We had a great visit and a wonderful treat.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 -1 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening in a large bowl; gradually add 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Mix well.
- Stir in extract.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface.
- Cut with a 2 3/4 inch round cookie cutter; place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.