Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe has been passed down through the generations. My great grandma always made this pie, then my grandmother took over, and now it isn't a holiday unless this pie is there. Posting here for safekeeping as I would be heartbroken if my well worn recipe page ever got lost...
- 2 frozen pie crusts (deep dish-thawed)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut (1 7oz bag)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Put coconut in a bowl. Pour milk over and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time till mixed well. Add vanilla.
- Stir in coconut and milk.
- Poke thawed crusts well with a fork. Pour batter evenly into the two crusts.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 mins or till center is almost set and pie is golden brown.
- Note: If crusts starts to brown too quickly cover it with tin foil for remainder of cook time.
Made exactly per recipe directions- turns out perfect every time. I have made this several times and it's always a hit at family get togethers.
I LOVE this coconut pie!! It's DELICIOUS! I made it according to the recipe only making a few changes. Since I'm now diabetic, ( I made it as is before too) I sweetened it with 1 cup of Stevia baking blend, used coconut milk instead of regular milk, unsweetened coconut, and made one of the two pies crustless to cut down on carbs as well. I just sprayed my pampered chef stoneware pie pan with no stick spray and baked as directed. Thank you so much MsSally for sharing this awesome recipe!
Yummy! I used shortbread pastry crusts, and having just discovered French Tart's Old English Spiced and Fruited Sugar for Apple Pies Etc! when making MsSally's Spiced Sugar Apple Pie Light, I couldn't resist using 1/2 cup of it here. A wonderfully flavoursome pie. I honestly cannot remember when I last ate coconut pie, but I'll certainly be making this one again. Thank you for sharing this great family recipe. Made for Holiday Tag.