One of the best apple cakes around. It is very moist, keeps well, and has the 'icing' baked on. The topping is like a thin layer of cheesecake and is good when baked on a carrot cake too.
- Melt butter, stir in sugar and eggs.
- Add flour and baking soda alternately with buttermilk, mixing well.
- Fold in apples, raisins, and pecans.
- Spread batter into well greased (or sprayed) 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Topping: Mix and put on cake BEFORE baking.
- Bake in a 350º oven for 45 minutes.
Great tasting cake.. but man oh man is it UGLY.. lol.. The sides baked up and kind of caved in over the topping. It reminds me of the earthquake cake. It doesn't look nice.. but it sure tasted good! It was moist and VERY rich. It's a 'keeper'.
I expected this to be like butter cakes-- it wasn't. But! This recipe is so delicious! This recipe received many compliments. There was nice carmelization and wonderful flavors. I followed other reviewers suggestions and doubled the apples, but I left out the raisins because I didn't have any on hand.
I made four of these for a big party - doubled the recipe with no problem. For each recipe I doubled the apples, left out the raisens, made it in a sheet cake pan and everyone went crazy for it! I will make this again and again!