Recipe by Baby Kato
Yet another of dad's recipes. This is a slightly different meatloaf, than what most people are familiar with. Excellent served with rice, potatoes or broad pasta & fresh peas.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Thumbs up from my husband. I will mention one cooking method I used. I found the sauce to be a bit "loose", so I reduced it and then basted. Turned out nicely. I also grated the onion, as my husband doesn't care for chunks of onion in his meatloaf. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag Game. :)
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup pickle juice
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce or 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly mix meats with onions, bread crumbs, pickles, egg, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Shape into a loaf and place in shallow pan.
- Combine pickle juice, chili sauce or ketchup, water, sugar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour over meatloaf and place in 350°F oven basting twice with sauce in pan for 40 minutes.
- Continue baking without basting for additional 30 - 35 minutes, until meatloaf is really glazed.
- Garnish with a pickle fan. Dad always served this with Brussels sprouts and tiny whole carrots.