Pot Roast With Dill Pickles
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 50mins
- 3 lbs beef top round roast or 3 lbs bottom round beef roast
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock
- 3 dill pickles, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat dutch oven or large frying pan and make sure it is hot before adding oil.
- Brown the roast well in the oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the sour cream.
- Simmer, covered, for about 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Add the sour cream and simmer for 1/2 hour more.
- Slice and serve with the sauce on the top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
For anyone that thinks this isn't really good; try it. I've been making this for about 30+ yrs (watched the original show and have cookbook). (Tastes similar to beef stroganoff). I do salt the meat before browning and use more stock (~1 cup), also use garlicy crisp dill pickles (one of those refrigerated never cooked pickles). (In fact I'm cooking some now).
When I saw this recipe it reminded me of Polish cooking so I just had to try it. Everyone loved it. I doubled the amount of stock just to make sure the pan doesn't burn and used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream 'cause it's what I had on hand. I might let it cook an extra hour next time and see how tender it can get. Thank you very much.