Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I grew up eating this salad and love it. It's a bit different than most North American cucumber salads I've seen as there is no sour cream in it, only a simple oil and vinegar dressing. Usually it's been made using only cucumbers but sometime cooked green and/or yellow beans and/or tomatoes are added. The quantity of oil and vinegar dressing may need to be adjusted if additional veggies are used.
- 2 English cucumbers, sliced very thin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 red onions or 1⁄4-1⁄2 white onion, diced
- cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- green beans, cooked until tender crisp (optional)
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon vinegar or 1 -2 tablespoon salata seasoned vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- sugar, to taste (optional)
- Place sliced cucumbers, chopped onions and other veggies if using in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk salad oil, vinegar, salt and pepper together.
- Pour dressing over cucumbers and mix well.
- Adjust seasonings and add a bit of sugar if needed.
Delicious cucumber salad, which made for an excellent side dish to Peppery-Sweet Oven-Roasted Salmon that I had last night for supper. I used extra virgin olive oil with balsamic vinegar and pepper. Thanks for posting! Made for More Than Sauerkraut & Dumplings in the German Forum.
This received mixed reviews. dh wouldn't go near it because it had green beans (too bad, I'm the cook & *I* love 'em!) but my close friend who has a German relative pegged this as typically German instantly & loved it! The rest of us liked it well enough but not an overwhelming favorite. Not sure why, because all the components are yummy. Maybe it's an odd combination for us? Ah well...made & reviewed for German Tag 4/12.
I grew up with this salad too! This was the only dressing my mom knew back then. Brought back nice memories.Thanks. Made for The Voracious Vagabonds/ZWT6