Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tastes like the fried chicken grandma use to make when we were kids. The flavour from the roasted garlic and fresh herbs is wonderful. Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do..
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 heads garlic, roasted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage, rubbed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 12 chicken breasts
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, paprika, cayenne and black pepper. Set aside.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic into a small bowl, add the sage and thyme.
- Mash this mixture with a fork until smooth.
- Lift the skin away from the chicken and spread the garlic mixture over top of the chicken, then press the skin back down onto the chicken.
- Pour milk into bowl.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the milk then roll in the flour mixture.
- Place chicken on rack 20 minutes to allow coating to dry.
- Heat oil to 370°F in large skillet.
- Fry chicken skin side down in single layer.
- Turn occasionally, should take 10- 15 minutes.
- Roasted Garlic:.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the outer layer of skin from a head of garlic.
- Wrap the garlic in tin foil and roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes.
- To remove the garlic puree, make a small cut in the skin of each clove and squeese the garlic into a small bowl, mash with fork.
Made this delicious, and I mean delicious, chicken tonight. I also browned the chicken and then baked it in the oven and it was marvelous. I could have eaten the bulb of roasted garlic all by itself, but chose to control myself and use it for the chicken. LOL
As I decided to prepare this recipe I did not read the procedure and I imagined that I neede skinless chicken. I solved the problem butterflying the chicken breast and fill it with the garlic- sage mixture. You can belive me: it was phantastic and I will make this for sure! Thanks a lot for this great recipe!
Baby Kato these chicken breasts turned out awesome. The flavor and texture of the crispy chicken skin is to die for... I would give this more stars if I could! Thank you for sharing. [Made and reviewed for NZ/AUS recipe swap #31, August 2009].