Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Use only tomatoes fresh from the garden for this recipe. The storebought tomatoes make it too watery. I love romas, but any variety will work. My mom won't eat canned tomato soup, but LOVES this recipe. I've also made it for my vegetarian sister using vegetable stock instead of chicken.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 fresh basil leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken stock or 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- In a large stock pot, heat butter and oil over medium high heat. Add onion and seasonings. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to blend. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Place flour in small bowl, and stir in 1/4 cup of the stock. Stir into the tomato mixture. Add the remaining broth. Simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Allow mixture to cool. Run through the food processor in batches. Return pureed mixture to the pot. Add the sugar and cream. Heat through, stirring occasionally.