Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Leftover turkey shines in this make-ahead curry. I often reduce the amount of curry powder as my family doesn't like it, but feel free to spice this how you please. I use fresh pineapple but it works well with the canned.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 granny smith apples, with peel on,cored and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth, or turkey if you have it
- 2 cups canned pineapple chunks, or fresh
- 1 cup half-and-half (whipping cream is too heavy) or 1 cup 10% cream (whipping cream is too heavy)
- 4 cups cooked turkey meat, , white and dark,in bite size pieces
- Here's something different to help use up leftover holiday turkey.
- Make this entire dish the night before, or first thing in the morning and then refrigerate all day; it tastes much better when reheated.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and saute onions, celery and apple slices until tender, but do not let brown.
- Sprinkle with the flour and curry powder and cook for 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper, dry mustard and bay leaf, then slowly pour in the chicken stock (or turkey stock if you were ambitious and made some).
- Turn the heat up and bring to a boil, then turn heat back down and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and add pineapple chunks and cream and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and refrigerate; pour into a storage container if you don't want to refrigerate your pot too.
- Just before serving, return curry mixture to a large pot and stir in turkey meat.
- Cook over medium heat until completely heated through.
- Serve with rice.
- If you happen to have leftover cranberry sauce, goose it up with some raisins that have been plumped in hot water (or warm brandy) and some freshly grated ginger-- a sort of cheater chutney that uses up the cranberry sauce.