Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- Butter a 20 cm round sandwich tin, at least 2.5 cm deep, then place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Break the egg into a separate basin and beat it together with the milk.
- Then pour this on to the rubbed in mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a soft dough.
- Next turn the mixture into the prepared tin and carefully level it off with the back of a spoon.
- Skin the peaches by placing them in a bowl and pouring over enough boiling water to just cover them. Leave the peaches for a minute or two, then drain and carefully peel off the skins.
- Slice each peach fairly thinly, discarding the stone and arrange the slices over the top of the cake mixture.
- In another bowl mix the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together and sprinkle this over the top of the peaches.
- Follow this with a sprinkling of melted butter, then bake for 30-35 minutes in a preheated oven at 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 or until the mixture is slightly risen and seems lightly browned and bubbly.
- This is nicest served warm with some very cold pouring cream.