Top Review by K9 Owned
A quick and very good onion soup recipe. I made it as directed but needed to add salt and more pepper for our taste. If I did not already have a stellar French Onion Soup recipe I would likely have given this a 5 star rating but my 'standby' recipe has a much more complex taste. In fairness it also takes more than 3 times as long. DH really liked this and I would not hesitate to serve it to company. Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 medium cooking onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices day-old French bread
- 2 cups swiss cheese, Grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and sugar.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until onions are tender but not colored.
- Uncover pan, increase heat slightly and continue to cook, stirring regularly until onions are rich caramel colour (10 to 15 minutes) DO NOT LET ONIONS BURN.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Gradually add wine; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in beef broth and pepper; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6, 1-1/2 cup oven proof bowls.
- Top each with bread slice; sprinkle with swiss cheese and parmesan cheeses and paprika.
- Place bowls on jelly roll pan.
- Broil until cheese melts and bubbles.