Paula Deen's French Onion Soup
photo by Barenakedchef
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- Saute onions and garlic in oil over low heat until tender and golden yellow.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well.
- Add stock and wine and bring to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4-inch slices and butter both sides. Toast slices on griddle until golden brown.
- Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, add toasted bread and cover with cheese.
- Place ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees 4 or 5 minutes under a hot broiler.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Impera_Magna suggested this recipe as a starter for my mothers birhtday. I made it the evening before up to step 4 then stored it in the fridge. On the evening of the dinner party i reheated it anc continued with step 5 onwards. It was delicious, the depth of flavour was wonderful. thank you for a great recipe lily
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Illinois with my husband and we both love to try new things. He's definitely a better cook than I am, but I try to keep up. We have three dogs but no kids as of yet. Maybe in the next year or two we will start thinking about children but for now we are enjoying our time together. I love making up drinks and desserts and i'm not too bad at baking.