Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is my improvisation of a recipe found in "The Slow Cooker Bible." Though I am not especially fond of the canned soups, this appealed to me and I tested it using an adaptation of Healthy Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup. The result was a bit soupy but the taste was very good. For convenience, you may find it easier to use store bought canned soup. The dish itself is warm and comforting with a nice blend of flavors. Perfect as the weather gets cooler. Serve over rice or noodles.
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 cup water
- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch thick coins
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 thick slices
- 2 cups baby white mushrooms, halved (optional)
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch
- To prepare the soup substitute, combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk until smooth. Make sure there are no lumps of dried milk as those will carry over to the sauce of the stew. You can omit this step by using a can of creamed soup.
- Prepare your crock pot with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Mix together the aromatics (onions, celery and carrots) and place as a first layer in the bottom of the crock pot. If you are using mushrooms, layer on top of the aromatics.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables. Combine the onion soup mix with the herbs (thyme, pepper and Herbs de Provence) and sprinkle on top of the chicken and vegetables.
- Pour soup substitute or canned soup on top. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. (I found 4 worked for me but appliances vary.)
- Blend together the wine and cornstarch. (If you are using canned soup, 2 tablespoons will do, otherwise use 3 tablespoons.) Stir into the crock pot until well mixed and smooth. Cook uncovered on high for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
I have a new smaller crockpot and looking for recipes. I love this this one;it turned out great! I use this recipe to make the soup mixture ; Recipe #184827 I always have some in my cupboard when I need it. I did add a few baby potatoes to make it a perfect one pot meal. Thanks for posting. Rita
This was really good! I used canned cream of chicken soup for convenience. The dish was pretty soupy so I chose to just serve it up in bowls and mop of the soupy goodness with good ol' bread and butter. It was great!