Recipe by SmHerndon
A fellow Arkansan's winning recipe. Ms. B Deason won the State Chicken Contest, now on to Nationals. This sounds really tasty and I plan on trying it soon - the picture in the paper is gorgeous. Maybe someone will beat me to it and share the results.
Top Review by mad riley mom
This was a quick, easy filling meal. This will most definately become part of the routine. Even my 4 yo really loved it. I did add a bit more pepper than it called for (by accident) but it was still really good.
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced black olives (plus more for garnish)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, peeled & sliced into thin rings (save 4 center slices for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- cooking spray
- parsley sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 10" tart or pie pan with unbaked pie crust. Layer cheese and chicken over pie crust. Sprinkle with flour and top with black olives - Refrigerate.
- In frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion rings, sugar, salt & pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until brown. Stir in chicken broth and lemon juice.
- Pour mixture over cheese and chicken in refrigerated pie crust. Arrange reserved onion rings over top and coat with cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake in 375º oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Let rest 15 minutes before slicing. Garnish with black olive slices and parsley.