Award Winning Chili With Unusual Twist
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans or (15 ounce) can black beans, can use up to 3 cans
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with puree (I use Progresso)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup good quality chili powder, I use Gebhardt's
- 0.25 (24 ounce) jar ortega thick & chunky salsa
- 0.25 (12 ounce) can beer
- 3⁄4 lb cubed sirloin (or same amount of ground beef)
- 1⁄4 lb cubed pork butt (or same amount ground pork)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 cube)
- Sauté meats in butter until well done.* Add to bean mixture. Cover and simmer for about 1/12 hours. Add 1/4 can beer. Heat through. Serve with hot flour or corn tortillas, and the rest of that cold beer! Top with chopped onions and grated cheese for an excellent meal!
- *If using the ground meats, brown together, drain and then add 1 cube of butter.Proceed with rest of recipe.
- I grew up on "hamburger" chili, and when I first got the recipe I made it according to directions. It was awesome. Then I exchanged the cubed meats for the ground ones. They both are wonderfully delicious, but now you can have a choice! This doubles and triples very well.Also freezes great.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Di this recipe is so delicious! DH hinted that chili would be good today! When I looked out the window and saw the snow coming down I had to agree! This is similar to my own chili recipe except for a couple of things -- the beer and the cumin. I was happy to add both and try something new! Wow! This is awesome! Oh, and I made this in my slow-cooker on low for 4 hours so the flavors really blended together beautifully! Thank you dear friend! I will make this often I'm sure!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I would like to welcome you to my recipes. I have been with Food.com since 10/05. My beloved husband, Tom, passed away 3 years ago. My world stopped. It's taken me all this time to find my way back to life without him. I have been so blessed to have found my second, once in a lifetime. I've met an amazing man who is so good to me. We moved from Las Vegas, Nevada to Bullhead City, Az. in February, and we love it here. I have worked at Bally's and Paris hotel.casinos, in Las Vegas. I have seen some very famous entertainers, including Liza Minnelli, Penn and Teller, Ray Liotta, Dr. J (Julius Erving), Frank Sinatra and his wife Barbara Marx. and many, many more. Cooking is my passion, and I am slowly, but surely beginning to venture into the world of baking. To me, cooking is so much easier because baking is so much more exact. I love to make Italian and Mexican food the best, followed by Chinese and last, but by far the least, good old American food! How can you beat chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy?? I love to find several recipes and put my own spin on them and create a new recipe.