Crunchy Noodle Salad *Award Winning*
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 1 (12 ounce) coleslaw mix (or you can simply shred a head of cabbage)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles, other flavors are good too
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 4 ounces sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- 4 ounces slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (olive oil will get solid in refrigerator) or 1/2 cup sesame (olive oil will get solid in refrigerator)
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar or 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1/4 cup Splenda granular
- Place sesame and almonds on a microwave safe plate and cook until browned. About 1 minute-Watch carefully! Allow to cool.
- Mix cabbage, sesame and almonds together in a large bowl.
- Dressing: Mix the spice packets from the noodles with the green onions, oil, vinegar and sugar. Shake or stir until well blended.
- Refrigerate separately until ready to serve.
When ready to serve:
- Break RAW ramen noodles into small pieces and mix into cabbage mixture. DO NOT COOK NOODLES!
- Pour dressing over cabbage and noodles and mix well.
- NOTE: Can be made a meal by adding some cooked shredded chicken or thawed frozen salad shrimp. Experiment!
- Toasting the seeds and nuts brings out the flavor- You can also add the RAW noodles to the toasting step for more added flavor.
Questions & Replies
I make this often, every 2 or 3 weeks. It’s good as is, but there are a few things I change about the recipe which in my opinion make it better. Instead of using straight vegetable oil I make 1/3 of it sesame oil. I substitute peanuts for the almonds, toast them a little in the oven, and break them up a bit before adding to the salad. I cut chicken tenderloins and thighs into strips, marinate them in oyster sauce, a little water to thin it, sesame oil, and minced ginger and garlic, then bake it in a shallow pan until done. Chop the chicken and add the pan juices and ginger/garlic bits to the dressing. With chicken added it makes a great lunch.
Delicious! Made this for our lunch today and I used cabbage, napa cabbage, red/yellow bell peppers, some green and red onion slivers and grated carrots...toasted the almonds, sesame seeds and noodles. I did use rice vinegar and added some sesame oil to the regular vegetable oil. DH and I totally loved this salad and will be making this again. Thank you for posting. Made for 2013 Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game.
I served this at my 4th of July picnic and it got RAVE reviews. Everyone was flumoxed about the ingredients and were surprised to see raman in something that tasted so good. A ton of people brought leftovers home with them. The only changes I made were to halve the amount of sesame seeds and use veggie broth instead of the ramen broth to make it fit for the vegetarians.
Made this with pre-packaged shredded cabbage/carrot mix because that all the store had at the time and added broccoli florets also. I used rice vinegar instead of cider or white wine vinegar. Also grilled up some asian marinated chicken breasts to top this salad with. This is an awesome recipe! A miriad of tastes going on in this yummy recipe. Thank you for sharing.