Apple Tuna Sandwiches
photo by Debbwl
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts (may sub pecans)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions (may sub green onions for a milder onion flavor)
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can light chunk tuna in water, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped apple (any work well)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red seedless grapes
- 6 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread, toasted
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine the eight ingredients; stir in tuna, apple and grapes. Spread 1/2 cup tuna mixture on three slices of bread.
- Top with lettuce and remaining 3 slices of bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
It's a beautiful thing! I also left out the extra sugar, but otherwise left the same (added a little dill). Reminds me of my mum's waldorf salad! For me this would have easily stuffed 4 sandwiches (but instead, I just ate the 4th helping right out of the bowl...:) I often add apple to my tuna salad with curry powder, but never nuts or grapes. I think my family will like this version better. Thanks!!
This tuna salad is declicious!! I made it with light mayo and skipped the sugar. The sweetness was just right and I loved the crunch from the Granny Smith apples, nuts and celery. It is as others have said special enough for company but easy to throw together to have whenever. I will make this again and again.