- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons light oil
- 2 tablespoons good-quality curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 425 g diced tomatoes
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄3 cup red lentil
- 1 cup peas (frozen are fine)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- cooked rice, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor and process to form a paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the paste and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring to release the flavours. Add the tomatoes and 500ml (2 cups) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shell and halve the eggs and add to the pan with the lentils and peas - if mixture is too thick add an extra 125ml (1/2 cup water). Cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until lentils are soft. Stir in the coriander and serve with cooked rice.