1/3 Photos of Finally! Lemon Bars That I Love!
This is the best (finally!) recipe for lemon bars that I've tried. And I've tried a LOT of them over the years. This is the winner hands down! Found in an old Good Houskeeping cookbook! (I still changed it a little, but very minor changes.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice concentrate, can of course sub fresh
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -4 tablespoon powdered sugar (I used a LOT)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line a 13" x 9" baking pan with foil extending it over the sides a little. Lightly spray foil with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- 3In medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I use a whisk.
- 4With pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 5Sprinkle dough evenly into bottom of pan. Level, brushing with your hand lightly, then pat dough firmly into bottom.
- 6Bake 15-17 minutes until lightly browned.
- 7Meanwhile, in large mixer, beat eggs on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, about 3-4 minutes.
- 8Reduce speed to low, add lemon juice, sugar, baking powder, salt, and remaining 3 Tbl. flour.
- 9Beat until blended, scraping sides and bottom of bowl occaisionally.
- 10Pour filling over warm crust.
- 11Bake 15 minutes, or until filling is just set and golden around the edges.
- 12Transfer pan to wire rack.
- 13Sift powdered sugar (1 Tbl.-1/4 cup) on top over warm filling.
- 14Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- 15When cool, lift out holding on to foil, and transfer whole thing to a cutting board or surface.
- 16When cool, cut into bars.
- 17Makes 24-36 bars.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finally! Lemon Bars That I Love!
Serving Size: 1 (885 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.8
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 116.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 1.7 g