Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Honey Cake is one of the highly popular desserts of Fiji. The cake becomes moister and its flavors deepen a day or two after it is made.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9" x 5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the almonds and beat until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
I used locally grown honey, which is probably darker than what you buy in the grocery store. Loved the spices! This was more like a bread than a cake. Not sweet, and not as spicy as gingerbread. I'll enjoy this for breakfast this week. Thanks!
I liked this not-too-sweet cake a lot - like a gingerbread or Lebkuchen. I used Manuka Honey from Hokitika, NZ. Followed everything else exactly as written - a first for me!! Thanks, Mikekey!
made for ZWT7 one of Mike's I mean Count Dracula and his Hot Bites
Yum! DH loved this cake. I used wildflower honey which is a darker honey than clover, and it resulted in a honey version of gingerbread. Subbed yogurt in place of sour cream.