1/1 Photo of Fiddlehead Ferns and Shrimp over Linguine
Also known as the Ostrich fern is a Maine delicacy that appears in the early April and May. The botanical name for the ostrich fern is Matteuccia struthiopteris. Gather your fiddleheads in early spring, as soon as they appear within an inch or two of the ground. Carefully brush out and remove the brown scales. Be sure to cook fiddleheads thoroughly before eating (boil them for at least 10 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fiddlehead (thin asparagus my be used)
- 6 ounces linguine (cook as directed or pasta of choice)
- 6 cups water
- 1 3/4 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1Cut off ends of fiddleheads; Remove scales and wash thoroughly.
- 2Cook fiddleheads in boiling water for ten minutes and drain.
- 3In a nonstick skillet heat then add oil or butter and melt.
- 4Add onion and peppers and sauté until crisp-tender. Stir in fiddleheads and garlic.
- 5Add sliced mushrooms, pepper, and salt to vegetable mixture; stir well. Add shrimp and stir well. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat three to four minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring often. Stir in lemon juice; cook until heated through, stirring often.
- 6Place pasta ( in the picture I used sprouted whole grain pasta) on a large platter. Spoon shrimp mixture on top. Serve immediately.
- 7Sprinkle lightly with extra virgin olive oil if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fiddlehead Ferns and Shrimp over Linguine
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.5
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 259.3 mg
- Sodium 310.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 36.4 g