1/3 Photos of Falafel
A Middle Eastern delight. I don't know how authentic this recipe is but it is my favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pita pockets, warmed
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- sliced onion
Herbed Cucumber Yogurt
- 1To make Herbed Cucumber Yogurt: Add all yogurt ingredients to a mixing bowl; whisk to combine; cover and chill until ready to serve.
- 2To make Falafel: Add the scallions, garlic, cilantro, and mint to the container of a food processor; pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- 3Add the chickpeas, breadcrumbs, cumin, baking powder, salt, and Tabasco; continue to pulse until the batter has the consistency of cooked oatmeal.
- 4Lightly oil hands and form mixture into 4 burger shaped patties.
- 5Spray each patty lightly with cooking spray.
- 6Let the olive oil get hot (but not smoking) in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 7Fry patties for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp.
- 8Transfer cooked patties to a paper-towel lined plate.
- 9Put cooked patty into warmed pita pocket with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sliced onions.
- 10Serve with Herbed Cucumber Yogurt.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Falafel
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.1
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 1177.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 16.7 g