Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The BEST eggs! From the Sopranos.
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces or
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese or 1 tablespoon romano cheese
- In a medium skillet, cook the garlic in the oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Add the tomato, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
- Break an egg into a small cup.
- With a spoon, make a well in the tomato sauce.
- Slide the egg into the sauce.
- Continue with the remaining eggs.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your taste.
- Serve hot.
Great recipe! Sometimes I add some olives and capers to the tomato puree, just for a change of pace.
Made these in individual servings and finished the last step in the oven (in those small oven proof ceramic dishes). FANTASTIC. It was easier to control how each person wished to have their eggs that way. LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe. Served with various breads, Very easy really. Can be prepared all the way till putting the eggs in the night before.
Great recipe for method and starting off point for me to add more vegetable and use ingredients I had. Liked this recipe for the Italian seasoning. Used chunky marinara that I had left over. First sauted in broth 1/4 cup onion, with garlic, and Penzeys pizza seasoning along with basil, oregano, and a shake of cumin. Then added 1 bag of cooked frozen rainbow chard to sauce and when all hot added eggs in the mixture and covered till done. Loved this. Will make often.