Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The BEST eggs! From the Sopranos.
Make and share this Eggs in Purgatory recipe from Food.com.
- In a medium skillet, cook the garlic in the oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Add the tomato, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
- Break an egg into a small cup.
- With a spoon, make a well in the tomato sauce.
- Slide the egg into the sauce.
- Continue with the remaining eggs.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your taste.
- Serve hot.
Great recipe! Sometimes I add some olives and capers to the tomato puree, just for a change of pace.
Made these in individual servings and finished the last step in the oven (in those small oven proof ceramic dishes). FANTASTIC. It was easier to control how each person wished to have their eggs that way. LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe. Served with various breads, Very easy really. Can be prepared all the way till putting the eggs in the night before.
This was easy and tastes fantastic! I luv tomatoes anyway I can have them...and this recipe really hit the spot. DH even enjoyed it and he's not crazy about tomatoes like I am. Very versatile, you can do just about anything with this and not go wrong. Thank you for sharing!