Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious, moist Banana Loaf that is loved in homes all over New Zealand. This recipe is taken from the Edmonds Cook Book. Great to have with a nice cup of tea, or just on it's own. A wonderful healthy dessert for the family. Enjoy.
- 1 3⁄4 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 75 g butter, melted
- 1 cup mashed banana (approximately 2 bananas)
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- Mix in sugar.
- In another bowl beat eggs.
- Stir in milk, butter and banana.
- Mix quickly into dry inredients, stirring until ingredients are just combined.
- Spoon into a greased and lined 22cm loaf tin.
- Bake at 180C (350F) for 45-55 minutes.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
Very easy to follow, basically threw it all together. No instruments to use so was guessing with with a mug.
This is a true winner here! I regret...very much...NOT making more loaves of this, but I will be making more without a doubt! It's the first loaf of bread that I've made that didn't fall in the center. :D And, yum! Next time, some allspice or cinnamon, but other than that, it's right on the money. I used skim milk and margarine and added in some chopped walnuts, just in case anyone else has only these on hand. Worked like a charm. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Chelsea!
Excellent banana loaf - i cheated and chucked it all in together, it came out brilliant and then I added the honey which added a great sticky crust.