Recipe by ItalianMomof2
This is a pretty fool proof way to make a roast beef. You can add or subtract any seasoning you want. * I don't add salt before cooking as it will draw out the juices. *Always check your roast with a meat thermometer, to get a perfect roast. I use a digital read thermometer. see bottom of directions for timetable. *Remember that the roast will continue cooking after you remove from the oven and let it sit. Usually about 5-10 degrees, so keep that in mind when you go to read the temperature *Allow the roast to sit for 10-15 minutes after removing from oven, so that the juices can redistribute, before you slice it.
Top Review by Samantha E.
Directions were super easy to follow and my roast came out wonderfully medium! Always makes me happy to create an awesome dish with just a few ingredients. Next time, I think I am going to season with a little salt though.
- 3 -4 lbs roast beef
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 500 Degrees.
- Remove Roast beef from package and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub Olive Oil all over roast and put in roasting pan on a rack. (FAT SIDE UP).
- Sprinkle Garlic Powder and Black Pepper all over roast.
- Put in oven and roast at 500 degrees for 20 minutes.(do NOT open oven door during this step. You want the intense hot heat to "sear" the roast and keep in all the juices.).
- After 20 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees and continue roasting for at that temperature for 18 minutes per pound.
- *3lb Roast- 54 minutes
- *4lb Roast-72 minutes
- I generally start checking the temperature after 45 minutes of cooking at 300 degrees. When the roast reaches the required temperature (see below) remove from oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Rare- 125-130 degrees.
- Medium rare- 130-140 degrees.
- Medium- 145-150 degrees.
- Well Done-155-165 degrees.
- After allowing the roast to "rest" Slice and Serve!