This recipe is a one dish meal. It's so easy to throw together and the cooking time just depends on the kind of rice you use. The flavor is great and this is easy to modify should you need to.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 (14 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can light kidney beans
- 2 cups chicken broth (seasoned is best)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 2 tablespoons cayenne seasoning
- 2 teaspoons louisiana hot sauce, to taste
- 1 cup white rice (instant or not) or 1 cup brown rice (instant or not)
- Cut sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Lightly brown.
- Add vegetables.
- Simmer 5-7 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid, and cook until rice is done.
- **NOTE** The cayenne seasoning mentioned is NOT straight cayenne pepper. Try one of the seasonings such as Tony Cachere's or Emeril's cajun seasoning. Sorry for any miscommunication.
We used a sweet chicken sausage. It was amazing!!!!!
I came across this recipe while looking for a convenient red beans and rice recipe, and it really couldn't have worked out better. The seasoning I found was the Walker
Super easy and delish! I did use andouille sausage. I cut back on the cajun seasoning to 1.5 TBSP as I was afraid with the spicier sausage, it would be too much. Not sure if it was this particular brand but the sausage wasn't as spicy as I was expecting. Had a good dose of heat to it but we enjoy our beans and rice SPICY so I will use the full 2 TBSP next time. Great filling meal with enough leftover for Monday lunchboxes! Thanks for sharing.