Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is a one dish meal. It's so easy to throw together and the cooking time just depends on the kind of rice you use. The flavor is great and this is easy to modify should you need to.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 (14 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can light kidney beans
- 2 cups chicken broth (seasoned is best)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 2 tablespoons cayenne seasoning
- 2 teaspoons louisiana hot sauce, to taste
- 1 cup white rice (instant or not) or 1 cup brown rice (instant or not)
- Cut sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Lightly brown.
- Add vegetables.
- Simmer 5-7 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid, and cook until rice is done.
- **NOTE** The cayenne seasoning mentioned is NOT straight cayenne pepper. Try one of the seasonings such as Tony Cachere's or Emeril's cajun seasoning. Sorry for any miscommunication.
Beans/Rice/Sausage is a dish I make when I want to put NO effort into dinner whatsoever, so I was a little skeptical of this recipe because it requires a LITTLE effort :) I wasn't sure it'd be worth it... OH MY GOD... SOOOOOO worth it. This is a regular rotation for us because its delicious, filling, 2yo ds and 5yo dd both love it too, and its inexpensive!! Thank you!!
We used a sweet chicken sausage. It was amazing!!!!!
I came across this recipe while looking for a convenient red beans and rice recipe, and it really couldn't have worked out better. The seasoning I found was the Walker