Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is a one dish meal. It's so easy to throw together and the cooking time just depends on the kind of rice you use. The flavor is great and this is easy to modify should you need to.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 (14 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can light kidney beans
- 2 cups chicken broth (seasoned is best)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 2 tablespoons cayenne seasoning
- 2 teaspoons louisiana hot sauce, to taste
- 1 cup white rice (instant or not) or 1 cup brown rice (instant or not)
- Cut sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Lightly brown.
- Add vegetables.
- Simmer 5-7 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid, and cook until rice is done.
- **NOTE** The cayenne seasoning mentioned is NOT straight cayenne pepper. Try one of the seasonings such as Tony Cachere's or Emeril's cajun seasoning. Sorry for any miscommunication.
Beans/Rice/Sausage is a dish I make when I want to put NO effort into dinner whatsoever, so I was a little skeptical of this recipe because it requires a LITTLE effort :) I wasn't sure it'd be worth it... OH MY GOD... SOOOOOO worth it. This is a regular rotation for us because its delicious, filling, 2yo ds and 5yo dd both love it too, and its inexpensive!! Thank you!!
Really good one skillet meal. I didn't have peppers or celery and it was still awesome.
Good but WAY too spicy for me, even though I did not put in the Louisiana hot sauce. Next time I will trade out the bell peppers for carrots and leave out the cayenne seasoning. This time I used cajun flavored sausage so next time I will look for a more bland sausage. But I was grateful to have this recipe since it gave me a general idea of what proportions to use etc. I knocked off a star because it was so so spicy.