This recipe is a one dish meal. It's so easy to throw together and the cooking time just depends on the kind of rice you use. The flavor is great and this is easy to modify should you need to.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 (14 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can light kidney beans
- 2 cups chicken broth (seasoned is best)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 2 tablespoons cayenne seasoning
- 2 teaspoons louisiana hot sauce, to taste
- 1 cup white rice (instant or not) or 1 cup brown rice (instant or not)
- Cut sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Lightly brown.
- Add vegetables.
- Simmer 5-7 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid, and cook until rice is done.
- **NOTE** The cayenne seasoning mentioned is NOT straight cayenne pepper. Try one of the seasonings such as Tony Cachere's or Emeril's cajun seasoning. Sorry for any miscommunication.