Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is a one dish meal. It's so easy to throw together and the cooking time just depends on the kind of rice you use. The flavor is great and this is easy to modify should you need to.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 (14 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can light kidney beans
- 2 cups chicken broth (seasoned is best)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 2 tablespoons cayenne seasoning
- 2 teaspoons louisiana hot sauce, to taste
- 1 cup white rice (instant or not) or 1 cup brown rice (instant or not)
- Cut sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Lightly brown.
- Add vegetables.
- Simmer 5-7 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid, and cook until rice is done.
- **NOTE** The cayenne seasoning mentioned is NOT straight cayenne pepper. Try one of the seasonings such as Tony Cachere's or Emeril's cajun seasoning. Sorry for any miscommunication.
Beans/Rice/Sausage is a dish I make when I want to put NO effort into dinner whatsoever, so I was a little skeptical of this recipe because it requires a LITTLE effort :) I wasn't sure it'd be worth it... OH MY GOD... SOOOOOO worth it. This is a regular rotation for us because its delicious, filling, 2yo ds and 5yo dd both love it too, and its inexpensive!! Thank you!!
Cut the recipe down just to make enough for my boyfriend and I. It was perfect the way it tasted. I cooked red kidney beans instead of using canned beans. Brown rice instead of white rice for this one. Pretty good, alright. I'd make it again for a quick delish dinner if I remember to make the beans the day before or early during the day.
Am making a double batch so I can have left overs�� my new fav. I use black beans and add a can of tomatoes and reduce the water. Love love love this recipe