Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe plus a package of slaw mix is a 10-minute side when any last minute meal is needed. Flavors do blend if made ahead and allowed to chill a few hours... makes a more juicy cole slaw if slaw mix and dressing are combined and allowed to chill a few hours as cabbage releases juices.
For the slaw
- 1⁄3 head cabbage, shredded (or finely chopped)
- 1 -2 carrot, shredded (or finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
For the dressing
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons Splenda granular
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or 2 tablespoons milder rice wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cream or 2 teaspoons half-and-half cream or 2 teaspoons milk or 2 teaspoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- If using a bag slaw mix, place the shredded mix in a medium bowl and set aside. If using fresh vegetables, shred or chop and combine in a medium bowl -- set aside.
- In a 2-cup measuring pitcher or small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk until completely blended.
- Pour dressing over the slaw and fold to coat slaw mixture completely with the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and chill a few hours if possible to allow flavors to blend. May be served immediately and will keep well for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
- Preparation Time is about 10 minutes if using the store bought slaw mix.
I used a little purple cabbage too and almond milk. Yummy! Thanks! Made for New Kids on the Block game.