Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from a diabetic cookbooklet.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces reduced-sodium ham
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, broken into small pieces
- 3 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Have rice already cooked and set aside.
- In 2 cups boiling water, drop the broccoli and carrots, bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Drain veggies.
- Put vegetables and cooked rice back in sauce pan and put pan back on medium-low heat.
- Add ham, Swiss cheese, 1 ounce of the cheddar, milk, margarine and cayenne and stir gently.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top, cover and cooke for 3 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
This recipe was really easy and I was impressed. I was not expecting anything much but we all liked it.
This was easy and good. I doubled the recipe for my family. I used butter instead of margarine. I'm wondering if an ingredient is missing (like milk or broth), because as written, it's very dry. I added about 1/2 cup of skim milk and it was still pretty dry.....but still tasted good. Overall a nice, quick and healthy meal that I'll make again....with milk;) Thanx for sharing!
I didn't actually eat this as I made it for my family to reheat one night, however, nothing was left, so it must have been pretty good.