1/1 Photo of Easy Broccoli Soup
Jen T's Note:
I saw this being made on TV (AWW) and thought it looked really good. On the programme they said to serve with toasted slices of french bread which were topped with crumbled blue cheese and grilled. I didn't have any on hand so I topped mine with parmesan cheese. I also, the second time round added some chopped bacon and simmered for another 15mins after I had blended the soup. You could also top each bowl of soup with a spoon of cream for a special occasion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or use 2teasp from a jar)
- 1 large head broccoli (trimmed and chopped, about 500g)
- 1 potato (peeled & diced or leave skin on if you prefer)
- 6 cups chicken stock (homemade, from a carton or use 6teasp granules to 6 cups water or to your taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 slices bacon (diced, optional variation)
- 1In a large deep pan heat the oil over medium and add the onion & garlic.
- 2Cook gently until softened for about 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add the potato, broccoli and stock and bring to the boil.
- 4Turn heat down and simmer for 20 mins until vegetables are cooked.
- 5Either pour into a blender and blend or use a stick blender in pan to make a smooth mixture.
- 6If using a blender add soup back to the pan and heat gently.
- 7It is at this point you can add the chopped bacon and simmer til bacon is cooked, about 15mins, then check seasoning.
- 8If not adding the bacon, check seasoning and add salt & pepper to taste & reheat gently.
- 9Serve in nice bowls with slices of french bread which have been toasted on one side, turned over and topped with either blue cheese or whatever cheese you have on hand and grilled for a few mins til melted & crispy, on the side.
- 10Note: cooking time does not include the extra time for the bacon addition.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.0
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 12.3 mg
- Sodium 442.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 10.7 g