Recipe by Sara in FL
I found this recipe in a magazine a long time ago (can't recall the name). It's very simple and absolutely delicious, especially when served warm with vanilla ice cream. I added a streusel topping for the "cobbler effect" which may be omitted, if you wish. My friends and family loved it. I hope you do, too!
Top Review by Laffey
I loved this apple cake. So delicious! I did add some cinnamon to the batter and also to the crumb topping. The best apple cake I have made so far. It disappeared quickly. So...so... Good!
- 3 -4 large granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsifted flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cut up in little pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core, and cut apples into small pieces.
- Place in greased pie plate.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Cream the rest of the sugar with remaining cake ingredients.
- Beat well and pour over apples.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- While cake is baking, prepare streusel.
- In medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar and 1/2 cup unsifted flour; cut in 1/4 cup cold margarine or butter and press together with your fingers until crumbly.
- Remove pie plate from oven after 30 minutes of baking and top with streusel.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Let cake cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut in slices and serve warm or cold with warm vanilla sauce.
- For sauce, microwave all ingredients until thick and clear (or heat in a saucepan on medium, stirring often).
- *Don'tforget the vanilla ice cream!
- It's soooo good together.