Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this recipe in a magazine a long time ago (can't recall the name). It's very simple and absolutely delicious, especially when served warm with vanilla ice cream. I added a streusel topping for the "cobbler effect" which may be omitted, if you wish. My friends and family loved it. I hope you do, too!
- 3 -4 large granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsifted flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cut up in little pieces
- Peel, core, and cut apples into small pieces.
- Place in greased pie plate.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Cream the rest of the sugar with remaining cake ingredients.
- Beat well and pour over apples.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- While cake is baking, prepare streusel.
- In medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar and 1/2 cup unsifted flour; cut in 1/4 cup cold margarine or butter and press together with your fingers until crumbly.
- Remove pie plate from oven after 30 minutes of baking and top with streusel.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Let cake cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut in slices and serve warm or cold with warm vanilla sauce.
- For sauce, microwave all ingredients until thick and clear (or heat in a saucepan on medium, stirring often).
- *Don'tforget the vanilla ice cream!
- It's soooo good together.
I loved this apple cake. So delicious! I did add some cinnamon to the batter and also to the crumb topping. The best apple cake I have made so far. It disappeared quickly. So...so... Good!
We really liked this recipe. The cake was nice and moist. The vanilla sauce really made the recipe. My vanilla sauce was clear, though, unlike the picture. I liked the streusel as well. In the future, I will probably try adding some cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg to the apples. Thanks for the excellent recipe.
Just GREAT . . . omitted the vanilla sauce . . . thanks !