1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Little recipe I came across. (And really enjoy!) Most people that try this comment that it is 'Nova Scotia Style' Donair Meat. And I am apt to agree. Pretty tasty too!
My Private Note
Pita Fi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground oregano
- 4.92 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml italian seasoning
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 0.59-1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 11. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 22. In a cup or small bowl, mix together the salt, oregano, flour, black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- 33. Place the ground beef in a large bowl, and use your hands to blend in the spice mixture.
- 4**TIP: To get the smooth texture of meat that you see in a real donair shop, here is a trick. Mix ingredients in a steel mixing bowl on a sturdy surface. Pick all the meat up out of the bowl and throw it down -with force- back into the bowl about 20 times, kneading it after each throw. This also helps the meat hold together better when you slice it.Sounds silly, but you will see a difference when done this way compared to not.
- 54. Form the meat into a loaf, and place it on a broiler pan. (If you do not have one, a baking sheet will do.).
- 65. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven, (Uncovered) turning the loaf over about half way through. This will ensure even cooking.
- 76. When done baking, let cool almost completely. (It does slice up better if you chill the meat overnight before slicing, but that is more personal preference.).
- 87. To make the donair sauce, mix together the evaporated milk, sugar and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the white vinegar, adding 1 teaspoon at a time, until thickened to your desired consistency.
- 98. To Make up some Donairs: (Or how we do it here in NS.:p).
- 10Use Fresh or Store bought Pitas:.
- 11Warm your Pita and meat up.
- 12Lay your pita out flat and place meat on half of the pita. Sprinkle with a generous amount of Mozzarella Cheese. Top with a sprinkling of both Fresh Chopped Tomatoes and Sweet Onions. Fold and enjoy.
- 13Sauce served on the side.
- 14**Note:Recipe Doubles well and I recommend it when making it. Meats can be made from only Gr. Beef, or a combination of Lamb, Veal and Gr. Beef. for a more authentic taste. (but again this is personal preference).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Donair Meat and Donair Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.6
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 104.5 mg
- Sodium 757.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 38.0 g
- Protein 27.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: