Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Little recipe I came across. (And really enjoy!) Most people that try this comment that it is 'Nova Scotia Style' Donair Meat. And I am apt to agree. Pretty tasty too!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 -4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. In a cup or small bowl, mix together the salt, oregano, flour, black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- 3. Place the ground beef in a large bowl, and use your hands to blend in the spice mixture.
- **TIP: To get the smooth texture of meat that you see in a real donair shop, here is a trick. Mix ingredients in a steel mixing bowl on a sturdy surface. Pick all the meat up out of the bowl and throw it down -with force- back into the bowl about 20 times, kneading it after each throw. This also helps the meat hold together better when you slice it.Sounds silly, but you will see a difference when done this way compared to not.
- 4. Form the meat into a loaf, and place it on a broiler pan. (If you do not have one, a baking sheet will do.).
- 5. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven, (Uncovered) turning the loaf over about half way through. This will ensure even cooking.
- 6. When done baking, let cool almost completely. (It does slice up better if you chill the meat overnight before slicing, but that is more personal preference.).
- 7. To make the donair sauce, mix together the evaporated milk, sugar and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in the white vinegar, adding 1 teaspoon at a time, until thickened to your desired consistency.
- 8. To Make up some Donairs: (Or how we do it here in NS.:p).
- Use Fresh or Store bought Pitas:.
- Warm your Pita and meat up.
- Lay your pita out flat and place meat on half of the pita. Sprinkle with a generous amount of Mozzarella Cheese. Top with a sprinkling of both Fresh Chopped Tomatoes and Sweet Onions. Fold and enjoy.
- Sauce served on the side.
- **Note:Recipe Doubles well and I recommend it when making it. Meats can be made from only Gr. Beef, or a combination of Lamb, Veal and Gr. Beef. for a more authentic taste. (but again this is personal preference).