Are you ready for this? FINALLY! Dolly has revealed her recipe for the YUMMY Dixie Stampede Soup in her cookbook called DOLLY'S DIXIE FIXIN'S. I spent almost $30 just to get the REAL recipe for this soup. There is a less than desirable copycat recipe out on the web. It's just not the same. ENJOY! and leave comments please. :) **Remember, they adapted this recipe for a few servings, not a few thousand servings**UPDATE: I would recommend that you make a white/blonde roux with the butter and flour before add the rest of the ingredients. This will help with the thickening and keep lumps out. It could take a good 15 minutes simmering after adding the half and half to see desired consistency.
- 3 tablespoons margarine (I use salted butter)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped cooked vegetables (I use diced canned potatoes and canned carrot slices diced very small, Veg-All will work)
- 1 pint half-and-half cream (I've also tried it with heavy cream for a richer taste, mmm)
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a 3-quart sauce pot, melt margarine. Add onion, garlic, and corn syrup. Simmer 1 minute. Do NOT brown.
- Add flour, white pepper, salt, chicken broth, water, and vegetables. Simmer 3 minutes.
- Add half-and-half. Simmer until desired consistency. Stir constantly - do NOT bring to boil.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.