Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
There is nothing better. Must serve with ice-cold beer or southern sweet tea.
- 6 quarts water
- 3 cups beer
- 4 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 15 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup cayenne
- 5 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons dill seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2⁄3 cup seasoning salt
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 6 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 lemons, quartered
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, quartered
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 18 new potatoes (or 6 medium potatoes, cut into thirds)
- 6 ears fresh corn, shucked and broken in half
- 3 lbs large shrimp, in shell
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce (Heinz)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- To make dipping sauce: mix all ingredients together in a bowl; chill until ready to use.
- To boil the shrimp: Bring water and beer to a boil in a very large, heavy pot.
- While the mixture is heating, add in the next 19 ingredients.
- Boil rapidly for 15 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes; boil for 5 minutes.
- Add in the corn; boil for 10 minutes.
- Add in the shrimp and immediately turn off the heat.
- Let pot stand, covered, for about 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp are just cooked.
- Pour the contents of the pot into a huge colander (or two colanders).
- Let the liquid drain away; remove lemons and reserve.
- Pour the contents of the colander out onto serving platters.
- Squeeze reserved lemons over all (if desired).
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Followed the recipe exactly and it is a keeper. We had a fun time doing it and the results were good, and definately 'dirty. Corn and potatoes had a nice 'cajun' flavor to them. I used red potatoes and cut them based on size. Golf ball sized went in whole, lemon sized got halved, and baseball sized got quartered. Thanks!