Recipe by Ms B.
An easy version of deep-dish pizza that is loaded with veggies. You can add pepperoni, smoked turkey or ham between the spinach and ricotta layers, if you like. From a Better Homes and Garden cooking contest.
Top Review by Sandylee
Made your veggie pizza this evening. I did not find it difficult to make, it was rather easy to prepare....and it was prepared as written. Hubby and I enjoyed our meal, but we both felt that it could have been better had I used something other than the refrigerated rolls of prepared pizza dough. Next time I am going to buy pizza dough from our local pizzeria which will sell the dough by the pound. This recipe will go into my recipe box as a keeper. I have visions of other veggies I might add to this recipe. It is a good recipe to experiment with, and I love having a top crust on the pizza....what an idea!
- 2 (13 7/8 ounce) packages prepared pizza crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced red onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded pizza cheese (4-cheese blend)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly coat a 12-inch heavy oven-proof pan or cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Unroll 1 package of pizza dough and shape into a circle.
- Press dough into prepared skillet; shape onto bottom and halfway up sides.
- Bake 5 minutes, remove from oven.
- In a large skillet sautee onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add spinach, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook and stir until spinach is heated through.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of pizza cheese, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the red pepper flakes.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the bottom of partially baked crust.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the spinach layer.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the pizza cheese.
- Unroll remaining pizza dough and form into a 12 to 13 inch circle.
- Place dough on top of layers.
- Brush with remaining olive oil.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until top is golden.
- Top with remaining pizza cheese.
- Bake 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.