Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a traditional Danish Smorgasbord dish. It is very versatile I sometimes put a layer of steamed spinach in a casserole, leave out the toast,put boiled eggs onto the spinach, pour in the sauce and broil for 5-10 minutes
- 8 eggs (poached or hard boiled)
- 8 pieces of toasted bread
- 1 carrot, scraped & grated
- 1 cup onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder (or a bit less)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup beef broth (consomme) or 1 cup chicken broth (consomme) or 1 cup vegetable broth (consomme)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- salt & pepper
- Saute the carrot and onion in the butter for 15 minutes.
- Use low heat you do not want to brown the veggies.
- Add flour and curry.
- Stir and heat to a smooth paste.
- Gradually add all the remaining ingredients starting with the consomme, stirring all the while to prevent any lumps.
- Simmer approx 8 minutes. Keep hot while you are poaching the eggs.
- Poach the eggs (or use hard boiled eggs cut in half lengthwise).
- Place eggs on toast and pour over the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and dust with paprika (optional).
Bergy, thank you. This one is a "keeper". I piled spinach onto the toast, covered the spinach with choppped hard-boiled eggs, then poured on the sauce. Tasty! (I'm also looking foreward to pampering myself with Rital's adaptation.)
I`m eating this as I post the review. I cut the recipe way back (Just for one)I did make for breakfast.I did use a lot of curry, water instead of broth and cream instead of milk.Served on a bed of spinach! What a way to start the day!
Loved this - 1/2 the recipe - tweaked it a bit. Made scrambled eggs with the 4 eggs (don't like my eggs looking at me!) and put on a bed of cooked rice instead of toast. But the sauce and the basic idea was all Bergy's. We loved this as a quick dinner that incorporated curry, eggs and spinach - so healthy, so good.