1/1 Photo of Curried Eggs on Toast
This is a traditional Danish Smorgasbord dish. It is very versatile I sometimes put a layer of steamed spinach in a casserole, leave out the toast,put boiled eggs onto the spinach, pour in the sauce and broil for 5-10 minutes
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 eggs (poached or hard boiled)
- 8 pieces of toasted bread
- 1 carrot, scraped & grated
- 1 cup onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (or a bit less)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup beef broth (consomme) or 1 cup chicken broth (consomme) or 1 cup vegetable broth (consomme)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- salt & pepper
- 1Saute the carrot and onion in the butter for 15 minutes.
- 2Use low heat you do not want to brown the veggies.
- 3Add flour and curry.
- 4Stir and heat to a smooth paste.
- 5Gradually add all the remaining ingredients starting with the consomme, stirring all the while to prevent any lumps.
- 6Simmer approx 8 minutes. Keep hot while you are poaching the eggs.
- 7Poach the eggs (or use hard boiled eggs cut in half lengthwise).
- 8Place eggs on toast and pour over the sauce.
- 9Garnish with fresh parsley and dust with paprika (optional).
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Eggs on Toast
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.9
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 449.1 mg
- Sodium 728.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 20.9 g