Recipe by Donna Matthews
I got this recipe from a British friend 40 years ago. Choose any vegetables you like to add to the simple curried white sauce. Add the chicken (or shrimp, or lamb or whatever), serve over rice and you have a complete meal.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups chicken bouillon
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee vegetables in butter until tender.
- Add curry powder, salt, sugar, ginger, and flour, stirring until completely mixed and bubbley.
- Stirring constantly, add chicken broth slowly enough to keep the mixture from lumping.
- Continue stirring until mixture thickens.
- Add milk, chicken and lemon juice, heating to a serving temperature.
- Serve over hot rice (we like brown rice, but choose your favorite).