From Cooking Light. Son, DIL, and 4 year old gs recommended so fixed it myself. Loved the salsa! GS eats it w/o the jalapeno in salsa. Serve with coleslaw and black beans or rice. Shh... cheat and make it with ground cumin and cilantro that comes in a tube. Think if you wanted a stronger taste, you could apply rub earlier. Might be good on shrimp.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb tilapia fillet
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup avocado, peeled sliced
- 2⁄3 cup mango, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional)
- 8 corn tortillas, 6 inch
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, cook 2 minutes or until toasted, shaking pan frequently.
- Combine cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, paprika, and black pepper in a spice grinder; process until finely ground.
- Combine cumin mixture and garlic; rub over fish.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add oil to pan swirling to coat.
- Add fish; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Salsa: Combine remaining 1/4 t. salt, avocado, and next 6 ingredients (through 1/4 t. red pepper).
- Stir in optional jalapeno.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Break fish into pieces; divide evenly among tortillas.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons salsa.
- Fold tortillas in half; serve immediately.
I chose this recipe because it seemed to be full of the kind of flavours we enjoy and because it was fast to make and required minimal cooking (it's 104F here today!). I chose a winner! Doubled the recipe to feed my brood. The cumin comes out strong on the fish, but is subsequently tamed to a lovely hum with the bright salsa. Not only did the tacos taste delicious - they were gorgeous to look at, too! Thanks for a winner.
Great fish tacos. We have fish tacos a lot and this is a great keeper recipe. Thanks for sharing!
Great flavor, we loved it. Make sure your spices are fresh for best taste, I know my cumin seeds weren't, I will make it again. Very refreshing, great summer dish! Thanks