Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another variation of this lovely Greek stew. I used to make this on the stove-top and in the oven, I have now adapted it for my crock pot. Most time goes into cleaning the small onions and I do this the evening before. If you don't want to be bothered with that substitute a large chopped onion.
- 1 lb small onion, i use pickling or 1 lb white pearl onion
- 2 lbs braising beef or 2 lbs stewing beef, cut in cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (use fresh tomatoes if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄8 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper
- crumbled feta cheese, to serve (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley, to serve (optional)
- Cover the onions with boiled water, stand for 5 minutes, drain, peel and set aside.
- Dust the beef with the flour.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan and brown the beef, transfer to the crock pot.
- Heat the rest of the oil and on a high heat brown the small onions for approx ten minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the chopped onion and the garlic, fry for another 5 minutes.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients, mix and warm through then transfer to the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until tender.
Really disappointing result. After reading the reviews and buying the ingrediants my mouth was watering. I followed the instructions (except adding 500ml extra water) and set my slow cooker to Auto. I left my house sunday morning at 10.30 and turned on the slow cooker. On my return at 14.30 I was greeted with smell of burning. Much to my disappointment in my slow cooker was a dry, black, burned mess. Not sure if the flour had thickened the sauce or maybe the tomato puree. Be very careful if leaving unattended.
This is a great dinner. I agree with the other reviewers, a little more liquid would be helpful as it was very thick. Otherwise the flavors were wonderful. Thank you.
This was so yummy! Came home from a long day at work as soon as i walked in the door the smell that i was meet with was devine! The only thing that i changed was that i added more water, only because i not to keen on really thick sauces, and i cloud not get hold of any ground clove - so i used mixed all spice. Work great! Will be making again!