Crock Pot Beef Stifado
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 20mins
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 lbs beef top round steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large onions, halved, and cut into 8 thin wedges
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 crumbled feta
- In a crock pot, toss the beef with the flour until evenly coated.
- Mix in the onions.
- In a small bowl, stir together the tomato paste, red wine, cumin, cinnamon, lemon juice, and water until well blended.
- Stir into the beef mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours or until meat is tender, but not falling apart.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Serve over noodles or rice, topped with the walnuts and Feta cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This didn't taste like we expected. The beef was tender, which was nice, but the dish was more like a mild BBQ sauce (and, in fact, I ended up eating mine as a sort of open-faced sandwich on top of a warm roll). It didn't taste bad at all - it just wasn't what we expected. We probably won't be making it again.
This beef stifado was good, but a little to cinnomony for us. The walnuts and feta were a nice touch. It also seemed kind of thick, not that it bothered us, just unexpected, we would sooner have it thinner. If I make it again, I would cut back on the flour and cut the cinnamon in half. Thanks for sharing Miss Annie, it was a nice change.